LOVE with this cake.
It might not really even be a cake.
It's like a meringue dream of pillow-y splendidness.
It's fabulous warm.
But delicious cold.
And it basically makes all your sugarless dreams come true.
Wait a second.
We all know that any dessert without real sugar isn't actually worth making right?
This is a myth. And for those of you who have tried to attempt the sugar-free realm before and failed..fail NO MORE!
Don't be intimidated by the ingredients..seriously you can find the Stevia and Whole Wheat Pastry flour at Sunflower Market which in my opinion is significantly cheaper than Whole Foods.
And if you wanted incredible mexican food would you settle for the likes of Taco Bell? No..you would find something much more authentic I'm sure. So it's the same concept..sugarfree CAN be delicious if it's done right.
Adapted from Stevia Sweet Recipes by Jeffrey Goettemoeller
Berry Citrus Cake with Toasted Coconut Serves 6
5 T. whole wheat pastry flour or barley flour
1 t. stevia powder (approx. 3 packets)
1/8 t. salt
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 t. lemon peel
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 cup coconut (not toasted)
2 egg yolks
3 egg whites at room temperature
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries ( I used raspberries and marionberries)
1 cup toasted coconut
1. In a medium bowl stir flour, stevia, and salt together.
2. In a separate bowl mix yogurt, lemon peel, lemon juice, oil, untoasted coconut, and egg yolks together.
3. Combine both mixtures.
4. Beat egg whites in KitchenAid (or use hand mixer) on medium high until stiff peaks form. This step is CRUCIAL to the cake turning out right.
5. Fold in cake batter. NOT stir or mix..FOLD.
6. Next fold in the berries of your choice.
7. Turn into a lightly greased 8 in. dish.
8. Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
9. Lower heat and then bake at 325 degrees for another 15 minutes. I used the last 3-5 minutes of this to toast my coconut.
10. Remove from oven..sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Serve warm, cold, or however you please.
Disclaimer: The author of this blog excuses herself from any effects that may be caused by this cake. Effects include but are not limited to the following: Becoming REALLY popular in church when you take this to the next ward picnic, kids offering to ditch their bff's b-day party so they can clean the garage in exchange for a whole cake to keep for themselves, younger looking skin, and last but not least, those skinny jeans finally make you look SKINNY,etc...
Best of luck to you, dear friends.